Monday, October 30, 2006

The Way We Were (Circa 1967)


Another friend sent this 1967 photo. Since he captioned it "Goodbye," I suppose it was taken before the summer of 1967 when my apartment-mates (3 of 5 girls from Smith College) were preparing to leave. They had spent ten months in the Philippines on a junior-year-abroad program and were going back to the U.S. by way of Europe.

The boys were friends from the Beta Sigma fraternity, the girl with glasses I unfortunately cannot remember, and the building in the background was part of a row of apartments (three units in front - we occupied the middle one - and several in the back) on B. Gonzalez Street, a few steps from Katipunan Avenue, in Quezon City, a short jeepney ride or long walk to the University of the Philippines (Diliman Campus) where I was enrolled as a Political Science major.

I think I will give myself the assignment of writing whatever I can still remember of that time.